NationBuilder is actively seeking a Controller to join our finance team. As a Controller, you will you will lead all Accounting operations and be a strategic partner to the management team on the accounting implications of all initiatives.
You’re ready to build world-class capabilities to support new products and markets for a rapidly growing SaaS startup. You also have a desire to ultimately build, develop, and mentor your Accounting team to scale with business needs. Exceptional candidates will have experience scaling the accounting function in a growth-stage B2B SaaS startup.
NationBuilder creates software for leaders of all kinds - political candidates, nonprofit organizations, anyone building a community of people to make something happen in the world. To learn more about NationBuilder, read about our mission and beliefs.
What you’ll do...
- Own and lead the Accounting function, including daily accounting operations, tax, financial reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, revenue recognition, treasury, general ledger, and equity administration
- Plan, control and direct corporate accounting activities ensuring compliance with GAAP, statutory guidelines, and internal financial policies and procedures
- Manage and ensure timely and accurate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial-statement close and reporting
- Prepare internal and external financial reporting - including budgeting, forecasting, and variance analysis as needed - for management team reviews, board meetings, and investor presentations
- Own local, state, and federal government tax and business filings and compliance
- Develop and drive strong financial policies, internal controls, procedures, and systems to scale Accounting with business growth, including the discovery and implementation of key ERP, billing, and other systems
- Recruit, develop, and retain a strong Accounting team capable of effectively scaling with business growth
- Help choose company auditors and prepare company for regular annual financial audits
- Help manage banking relationships and compliance for any credit facilities
- Partner with the management team on other strategic business initiatives including the evaluation of accounting implications for these decisions
What we’re looking for...
- Hunger and ambition
- 6 years or more experience at a supervisory level in public accounting and/or startup environments; at least 3 years outside of public accounting
- Strong understanding of GAAP and technical accounting
- Experience in high-velocity SaaS startups; a strong understanding of SaaS accounting and metrics
- Experience with accounting, transfer pricing, taxation, and consolidation related to international subsidiaries
- Ability to successfully interact with multiple peers and organizations across the company in a productive and articulate manner, while strongly representing the "accounting perspective"
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; strong experience with Excel and related tools
- Experience with forecasting, budgeting, and variance analysis is a major plus.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving, changing environment where priorities can change
- Strong self-starter who is a team player and can work independently
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, with strong presentation skills
- Experience building out accounting processes and procedures
- Experience with implementing and using multiple ERP and CRM systems preferred
- CPA Required
- Passion for the NationBuilder mission
NationBuilder is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We are committed to finding talent that is not determined on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To apply, please email your resume to email@example.com with “Controller” as the subject. Tell us why you’re a good fit for the job in 140 characters or less (like a tweet, but you don’t have to actually tweet it).