Email deliverability for mass emails is a complicated art, and one that NationBuilder takes very seriously. There are a couple of big things you can do to make sure folks are getting your emails:
One: Use email addresses that match a custom domain. Emails from "Joe Blue for Congress" for your nation joeblueforcongress.com should not come from "firstname.lastname@example.org." Take the time to make sure you're set up with a good custom domain name and custom email addresses before you start using blast email services.
- Here's the basic info for setting up a custom domain with NationBuilder; and
- If you choose NationBuilder as your email provider, you can create new email addresses for each Broadcaster in your nation; and
Two: Use NationBuilder's two email profiles wisely. The first is Supporters and includes people who've opted in to receiving communications from you. The second is Prospects and should be used for first-time mailings to voters and personal contacts who are hearing about your nation for the first time. These two email profiles should never be used interchangeably.
Here are some additional tips for using email blasts:
- Decide who your recipients are going to be. Use lists, tags, and filters to send emails out to specific groups of people. Creating content targeted to a subset of your supporters can increase deliverability and engagement.
- Keep track of your stats in your email dashboard. Knowing how many people clicked on your email, donated, or unsubscribed, can be extremely useful in helping you decide on the content of your next email blast.
- Check your Spam Score! Work to keep the score low by including a text version of your email, making sure you have more text than images and avoiding the use of irregular characters in your email. Keep in mind that the higher your score, the less emails will actually get out to your recipients.
For more information on email deliverability, subscribe to Deliverability.com's blog.