I'd like to find out how backups work in NationBuilder, and what the best practices are.
An administrator can create and download a snapshot of your PostgreSQL 9 database from Settings > Database > Snapshots.
Remember, NationBuilder is backed up in real-time automatically so your data is always safe. We recommend creating a snapshot before doing something dramatic, like a large import or deleting a lot of people. If you snapshot the database, we will have a fighting chance of restoring the info you might have deleted. Your nation's administrators can also download the snapshot to move your data out of NationBuilder.
What is backed up:
- All Supporter, Prospect, Non-Supporter information (including notes)
- All custom lists and tags
- All Activity stream information, including comments, Tweets, Facebook post likes, and flags
- All Pages and page-types created
- All Event RSVPs and shifts
- All page/user follows and follow up settings
- All Donations, invoices, tracking codes, and merchant accounts
- All Data imports, Legacy imports, and redirect pages
- All Text, Voice, and Email messages including Broadcasters
- All Email blasts older than 14 days
Restoring your nation
You do not have the ability to restore your database - please contact your organizer for help.
To restore your snapshot on your own postgres database, you can use these commands. It assumes you have a UTF-8 encoded database called "nbuild" with a user of "nbuild" already set up, and that your nation's slug is "abeforprez"
psql -d nbuild -U nbuild -h 127.0.0.1 --password -c "CREATE SCHEMA nbuild_abeforprez; CREATE SCHEMA shared_extensions; CREATE EXTENSION hstore WITH schema shared_extensions; CREATE EXTENSION dblink WITH schema shared_extensions; CREATE EXTENSION citext WITH schema shared_extensions; CREATE EXTENSION pg_trgm WITH schema shared_extensions;"
pg_restore -d nbuild --password --format=c -U nbuild -h 127.0.0.1 --schema="nbuild_abeforprez" --verbose --clean --no-acl --no-owner nbuild_abeforprez-4f231bcdc2e48c27ef000003-20120127.dump
Replace that last filename with the filename of the snapshot that you downloaded.
Learn more about how to open a snapshot on a Mac.