As of January 25, 2018, US nations default to integrated payment processing with NationBuilder.
NationBuilder’s integrated payment processing takes only a few minutes to set up and allows you to process donations using the Donation (v2) page type.
To complete the initial setup process, you will need:
- An email address to identify the account
- A US mobile phone number for authentication purposes when changes are made to the account
- Your legal name and date of birth
- The name of your organization
- Credentials for a payout destination (routing number/account number for a US bank account or card number for a US debit card)
- Initial setup
- Managing payment processor settings
- Updating account information
- Deleting your account
- To begin, navigate to Settings > Payment processors > New processor. Select “Payment processing with NationBuilder” and click the “Set up a new account” button.
- You will land on an account activation screen powered by Stripe, our payment service provider. You must provide an email address and US mobile phone number to proceed. Then, click the button. You will be prompted to enter a 6-digit code sent to the mobile number to confirm ownership of the account.
If you provide an email address associated with an existing Stripe account, you will be prompted to log in, and your existing details will be pre-filled.
If you provide an email address associated with a payment processing account you set up through NationBuilder, you will be able to create one additional payment processor with the same email. However, only one processor can be in live mode. If your existing processor is in testing mode, the second processor will be created in live mode and vice versa. You may use the same NationBuilder payment processing account across nations.
After you press the button, the form will occasionally hang on a loading indicator. Refresh the page to proceed.
Next, provide a business legal name, your legal name, and your date of birth. As your payment volume increases, Stripe may use this and additional information it gathers from you via automated text messages to verify your business.
Choose how you wish to receive donations. If you select “Debit card,” you will need to provide the card number and an expiration date. If you select “Bank account,” you will need to provide the routing number and account number for your bank account.
To return to NationBuilder, click the “Create Account” or “Connect Existing Account” button.
Managing payment processor settings
- If this is your first time creating a NationBuilder payment processor in your nation, it will be added in live mode. If you already have a live version of this payment processor in your nation, it will be added in testing mode. You can have up to one of each in your nation.
- Choose how donors will interact with your donation page. First, decide whether the donations are tax deductible. This status will appear on the donation page and on donation receipts.
- You may require a donor’s employer and occupation information, the employer’s full address, or just the employer’s city and state. If you require the employer’s full address, an unemployed donor will still have to provide at least a valid zip code in this field. You may also include corporate contribution fields. If you are a political campaign, check your local and Federal regulations to see if you are required to collect this information. Activate any setting by checking the appropriate box.
- If your organization has a specific disclaimer or contribution rules required to accept donations, enter that copy in the "Contribution rules" text box. This includes specific disclaimers mandated by campaign finance law. Donors will have to check a box accepting these statements before submitting a donation.
- Once you’re done filling out the form, make sure you click the button. A donation (v2) page that is connected to this payment processor will pull from these fields.
Updating account information
To update any details you provided during initial setup, click the button next to your payment processor under Settings > Payment processors and click on the menu. You will be directed to Stripe’s dashboard.
If you make changes, you will be prompted to enter a 6-digit code sent to the same mobile number you provided during initial setup to confirm those changes.
Deleting your account
To delete your payment processing account, click the button next to your payment processor under Settings > Payment processors and click on the button.