Back up your nation by taking a snapshot of your entire database. We recommend creating a snapshot before doing something dramatic, like a large import or deleting a lot of people. If you snapshot the database, we will have a fighting chance of restoring the info you might have deleted. Your nation's administrators can also download the snapshot to move your data out of NationBuilder.
How to take a snapshot
An administrator can create and download a snapshot of your PostgreSQL 9 database from Settings > Database > Snapshots.
Use the "Comment" text box to leave a note about the snapshot.
Click to begin your snapshot.
The time it takes to complete the snapshot will depend on the size of your database. Larger nations will take more time to back up completely. Please note that changes made to your nation after the start of your snapshot will not be captured. Avoid making any major changes to your database until your snapshot is complete.
What is backed up
- All Supporter, Prospect, Non-Supporter information (including notes)
- All custom lists and tags
- All Activity stream information, including comments, Tweets, Facebook post likes, and flags
- All Pages and page-types created
- All Event RSVPs and shifts
- All page/user follows and follow up settings
- All Donations, invoices, tracking codes, and merchant accounts
- All Data imports, Legacy imports, and redirect pages
- All Text, Voice, and Email messages including Broadcasters
- All Email blasts older than 14 days
Restoring your nation
You do not have the ability to restore your database - please contact your organizer for help.
To restore your snapshot on your own postgres database, you can use these commands. It assumes you have a UTF-8 encoded database called "nbuild" with a user of "nbuild" already set up, and that your nation's slug is "abeforprez":
psql -d nbuild -U nbuild -h 127.0.0.1 --password -c "CREATE SCHEMA nbuild_abeforprez; CREATE SCHEMA shared_extensions; CREATE EXTENSION hstore WITH schema shared_extensions; CREATE EXTENSION dblink WITH schema shared_extensions; CREATE EXTENSION citext WITH schema shared_extensions; CREATE EXTENSION pg_trgm WITH schema shared_extensions;"
pg_restore -d nbuild --password --format=c -U nbuild -h 127.0.0.1 --schema="nbuild_abeforprez" --verbose --clean --no-acl --no-owner nbuild_abeforprez-4f231bcdc2e48c27ef000003-20120127.dump
Replace that last filename with the filename of the snapshot that you downloaded.
Learn more about how to open a snapshot on a Mac.