NationBuilder uses unique IDs such as email addresses or ID numbers associated with other vendors to help you keep your database clean and free of duplicates. If you import records without email or one of these IDs, you may get this error.
If your data does not have emails for each person or another preexisting ID, you can create your own unique ID using Excel prior to the import. There are two ways to do this:
- Let the import create a unique ID for each record (easiest way)
- Open the CSV file in Excel
- Insert a new column to the left of the existing columns
- Name that column "NationBuilder_ID"
- Leave the rest of the column blank
- Save the CSV file
- Import your file mapping the new column to "signup_nationbuilder_ID" (for donation imports) or "nationbuilder_ID" (for one time and voter imports)
- Explicitly create a unique external_ID for each record (use when you need to know the unique ID before the import)
- In the first row's external_ID, enter the ccccc_#### (where the c's are the name of the file and the pound signs are any number).
- Copy this value and paste it into the second row's external_ID.
- Change the number to one more than the first value.
- Select both values.
- Click the lower right column of the selection and drag down to the last record of your file.
- Excel will create unique values for each column as you can see in the screenshot: