We highly recommend using NationBuilder for your CMS needs, but we understand that is not always possible. NationBuilder does not currently integrate with other CMS (content management system) platforms, but there are ways for your nation and an external CMS to work together.
Alternatively, if you want to migrate an existing site to NationBuilder's CMS, check out our legacy URL importer.
Create an action portal
NationBuilder “action pages” are NationBuilder website pages where visitors can submit a form, make a donation, RSVP to an event, or take another form of action in your nation. These actions are tracked and attributed to the person who took it in your nation’s People section.
If you have an external website, we recommend taking advantage of these action pages. You can create a redirect from your external site to a NationBuilder website. Build a small cluster of action pages for your users and then send them back to your external website using a NationBuilder redirect page. This creates an “action portal” experience for your visitors and all the data is captured in your nation.
This is the best option if you want your users to take action on a small selection of forms. Consider hiring a designer to match the look and feel of your external website to these action pages.
Build an API bridge
NationBuilder has a public API. If you have a developer on your staff, consider building an API integration. This is a personal bridge between your nation and external website. Learn more by visiting NationBuilder’s API documentation, Developer Blog, and API quickstart guide. Get in touch with one of NationBuilder’s certified developers if you would like to hire a developer for this project.
123ContactForm is a third-party app that integrates with your nation. Using the app, you are able to build complex registration forms and even donation pages that can be embedded on your external website. Data collected from these forms will be synced to your nation including contact information, custom fields, and tags. Please note that 123ContactForm cannot add your supporters to a path or trigger other action settings.
To sync 123ContactForm and your nation:
1. Create a new form. Add all appropriate fields.
2. Navigate to "3rd Party Apps under “Form settings.”
3. Click on the NationBuilder button. Select “Add.”
4. Enter the slug of your nation in the text box. Click “Connect to NationBuilder.”
5. Indicate how you want the form’s fields to be translated to your nation. Any field on a 123ContactForm can be translated as a basic field, a custom field, or a tag.
6. Embed the completed form on your website.
Remember that 123ContactForm is a 3rd party platform and could require an additional charge. Please visit their website to learn more.
Import your data
It is possible to create a workflow between exporting data from an external system and importing it into your nation. There are some important factors to consider before implementing this option:
1. Check that you are able to obtain a csv file of the data you want to import.
2. Have a good working knowledge of what fields are exported from the external system. Plan how to match them to your nation’s fields available for import.
3. Learn more about how to properly set up an import in your nation.