Leading is hard. Importing your data should be the least of your concerns. NationBuilder's team of Data Services Engineers are trained in the art of analyzing, transforming, and importing your data, so you can focus on the things that matter most.
All new nations are eligible for a free data import performed by our highly-skilled Data Services Engineers.
Separate data by type into separate spreadsheets (ex: all donation data must be on one sheet, all membership data must be on one sheet).
For import requests that do not meet the free import eligibility requirements, we offer billable custom data services.
Note: Recreating a SQL database does not qualify as a free import.
What should be included with each free import request
1. Type of data - People, Donations, Memberships, or Voter Data including Vote History.
Note: If you are importing voters or voter history, consider requesting NationBuilder's free voter file.
2. Data in Comma Separated Value (.csv) file format.
- Please save multiple Excel file worksheets as individual .csv documents.
- Download data stored in hosted services (like Dropbox or Google Drive) and save as .csv documents.
3. Unique Identifiers - Without unique IDs, the Data Services team may not be able to complete the import or the import may create duplicate people within the nation.
Optional, but highly recommended information
1. Data source - Include the name of the system you previously used to manage your data.
2. Column headers - Headers should clearly indicate what the data in each column means.
- Column headers should be mapped to available fields in NationBuilder.
- Headers should identify what will be imported as tags.
- Headers should identify custom fields which should already be enabled within the nation.
Step 1: Prepare your data and submit your free import request. You will receive an email confirming receipt of your request.
Step 2: Reply to the email with your data attached to your response.
Step 3: A member of the Data Services team will reach out to you directly to confirm receipt of your data.
Step 4: A Data Services Engineer will analyze, transform, and import your data.
Step 5: You will be notified you when your data import is verified and complete including a brief summary of the process.
Note: Should additional information be required to complete your import request, the Data Services team will contact you directly.