What did NationBuilder do in preparation for GDPR?
One of NationBuilder’s core tenets has always been that our customers own and manage their own data. With that comes a responsibility to provide tools that help our customers ensure that their data is protected and secure, which includes complying with applicable regulations. To that end, we have always prioritized robust compliance, data protection, and security practices.
In anticipation of the GDPR, we analyzed our product and practices to determine any updates that were needed. We then made the following changes:
- Data Processing Addendum (DPA): We updated the Data Processing Addendum to our Master Terms of Service. The DPA sets out the respective roles of NationBuilder and our customers regarding the processing of personal data and our mutual commitments relating to compliance with the GDPR .
Product: We expanded and updated our suite of product features to address our customers’ needs for tools that help collect and manage data in compliance with GDPR. Including tools to:
- Gather and manage affirmative and specific consent on all website pages and run customized re-permissioning campaigns.
- Enable a website banner to gather consent for certain analytics cookies.
- Provide a full download of a person’s data in response to requests under the GDPR rights of access and data portability.
- Permanently remove a person’s record from a customer’s database in response to a request under the GDPR right of erasure.
- Data Protection Officer: We appointed a Data Protection Officer, who can be reached at email@example.com
- International Data Transfers: We are maintaining our certification under the US-EU Privacy Shield to handle transfers of data to countries outside of the EU in accordance with the GDPR’s requirements.
- Vendor Agreements: We updated the contracts with our subprocessors to reflect the same data protection standards to which we hold ourselves.
- Data Protection by Design and by Default: We committed to continuing to proactively apply data protection by design and by default principles in building and enhancing our products.
Last updated on 29th July 2019