For the past year, we have been working hard on releasing a diverse set of responsive stock NationBuilder website themes which are free for all customers to use. These responsive themes have been carefully crafted to provide the optimal viewing experience across all types of devices - from mobile phones, to tablets, to your desktop. While we will continue to add to the selection of responsive stock themes, the time has come to retire the antiquated and non-responsive version 1 themes.
Table of contents
- How will this impact me?
- Which themes are version 1?
- Which themes are version 2?
- What's better about version 2 themes?
- How do I upgrade to a version 2 theme?
How will this impact me?
Anyone who is currently using a version 1 theme can continue to do so, without interruption.
Version 1 themes will no longer be available to anyone else.
Which themes are version 1?
Version 1 themes include:
Which themes are version 2?
Version 2 themes include:
- Aware (12 different styles)
- CityZen (4 different styles)
- Collective (8 different styles)
- Headliner (8 different styles)
- Presence (8 different styles)
- Publish (5 different styles)
Many more responsive themes are in development and will be automatically available from your control panel when they are released.
What's better about version 2 themes?
Version 2 themes unlock dozens of improvements in the NationBuilder theming system, including:
- Responsive design, meaning the website automatically adapts to the size of a visitor's screen, from desktop to tablet to mobile phone.
- Inline signup for Facebook, Twitter and email
- Inline error messages
- Completely rewritten and optimized page templates
- Customizable icons
- Easily feature an excerpt of any page on your homepage
- Off canvas navigation for mobile devices
How do I upgrade to a version 2 theme?
If you are using a version 1 theme which has not been customized, you can upgrade by simply clicking Website > Theme, and then click on whichever version 2 theme best fits your website.
If you have customized page templates, some may be incompatible with version 2 themes. If this is the case, after you select a version 2 theme you will be prompted with the options to either switch to the theme anyway (your custom page templates will not be modified, but may not function properly); discard your custom page templates and switch to the theme; or cancel switching over entirely. You will also see a list of which specific page templates aren't compatible.
If you have a customized theme based on a version 1 theme, you should contact an Architect who can work with you to upgrade your custom theme.