A suggestion box page can be used to receive recommendations from your community at scale. Use this page type to have your community leave suggestions, respond to suggestions in an official capacity, and have the community vote on suggestions that are the most helpful using labels.
- Create a suggestion box page
- Suggestion box settings
- Your suggestions
- Leave an official response
- Voting on suggestions
- Sort your suggestions
- Related Resources
Create a suggestion box page
1. From the Website section click “+ New page.”
2. Enter the page name and slug.
3. Select the “Suggestion box” page type.
4. Click .
Your page will be created and you will be directed to the action settings.
Suggestion box settings
You suggestion box page is very similar to a user-submitted blog. It will hold a number of suggestions that your community can respond to or comment on. As a control panel user, you can also add an official response.
Set up your suggestion box settings under Box settings > Basics.
1. Enter the number of suggestions to show per page.
2. Ask your supporter to upload a picture by checking the “Ask for picture” checkbox. Make this a required field by checking the “Require picture” checkbox. Please note that photos will not be visible on the suggestion box page. All viewers will have to click into individual suggestion page to see the picture.
3. As with any action page, you can add a person to a path and add tags to any person who makes a suggestion. You may also assign a point person to the supporter, if a point person does not already exist for that person’s profile. These tools will allow you to keep track of your supporters and promote engagement down the line.
4. Click .
When visitors go to your Suggestion box page, they will be prompted to leave a response.
When a visitor clicks the “Add your suggestion” prompt, a text box will appear. If you chose to ask for a picture, she will also see an uploader.
If the suggestion-maker is not logged in to your website, she will see an option to log in. Any content in the suggestion textbox will not be saved if the suggestion-maker is not already logged in.
To review all your incoming suggestions go to Suggestion settings > Recent suggestions.
Click to edit any suggestion or leave an official response. Click on to delete a suggestion.
You may also leave a suggestion from the control panel by visiting Suggestion settings > New suggestions.
Leave an official response
Suggestion boxes allow control panel users to leave official responses. This is an excellent way to acknowledge and respond to the pressing questions in your community. It allows a transparent dialogue between your community and your organization organization.
Suggestion boxes are populated with suggestion pages. You can leave an official response on any suggestion page:
1. Go to Suggestion settings > Recent suggestions.
2. Select next to the suggestion you want to respond to.
3. In the Suggestion page go to Suggestion settings > Content.
4. Select a response from the Official response drop down.
5. Add more detail to your response by entering text in the content editor.
6. Click .
The control panel user who saved the response will be listed as author. If you want to change the author enter in the name, email, or twitter handle in the drop down. Change the publication date of the response in the text box. Click “Save Content.”
You will be able to see the headline, content, and official response on the website.
Voting on suggestions
As you crowd source community issues or questions, you will want a way to organize and prioritize the incoming responses. You can use labels to sort and crowdsource useful answers by asking your supporters to vote.
These labels are completely separate from page tags. Page tags are added within the control panel on any page of your website, whereas suggestion labels are available publicly for the public to add to a suggestion. A maximum of nine labels can be created.
The five default labels your supporters can use to vote include:
To change these default labels go to your Suggestion box page > Box settings > Content. Enter a new label into the “Ask people to tag suggestions in this box with” text box.
Separate multiple labels with commas. Click .
When a supporter views an individual suggestion on your website, she can tag it by selecting checkboxes on the suggestion page and clicking .
Sort your suggestions
All labels will be available at the top of your Suggestion box page.
Use the labels to sort your responses. Click on the label to pull up all suggestions that have been tagged with that label.
Suggestions are sorted by the number of times they have been tagged with a label, and then by the most recently tagged.
You can also view suggestions using the “Alphabetical” or “Most recent” sorting options.
Note that page tags will not be included in the list of suggestion labels. When you add page tags to a suggestion, they appear at the bottom of the page and can be used as a way to sort all pages on your website, not just the suggestions within a suggestion box.