Email blasting is a powerful tool for any organization. It allows you to quickly and effectively communicate with your supporters to promote action.
Learn how to create a blast – add recipients, choose a theme, and enter content. Preview your blast before sending or schedule it for a later time.
- Create a blast
- Add recipients
- Select a theme
- Create a custom theme
- Enter content
- Preview and send your email
- Schedule your email
- Related HOWTOs
Create a blast
1. Select the Broadcaster you want to use to send the blast. Click “Email.” You will see a list of previously drafted and sent emails, if any exist. Select “New blast.”
2. Enter a slug and description. A slug is the name of your email. Leave an optional short description or note in the “Description” text box.
3. If you are including links to your website in your blast, consider checking the provided checkbox. When checked, forms on your website will auto-populate with information from the recipient’s profile. This could increase the number of people who complete the form, but could cause confusion if the email is forwarded to another recipient.
For example, you send an email blast with a link to your website's online petition. When Jane Doe opens your email and clicks on the link to sign the petition, the form will already have her name and email fields filled out. She only needs to click "Sign petition" in order to take the action.
4. Click . You will be directed to the “Recipients” section of your blast.
Select recipients for your blast.
1. Decide whether you are sending this blast to supporters or prospects based on your recipients' support statuses. Take a moment to learn more about emailing prospects and how this might affect your email deliverability.
2. Select recipients based on a list, tag, or saved filter. For example, you may add the subscribers of your weekly newsletter by adding all supporters with the tag “weekly newsletter.”
Alternatively, you may choose “All” and select all supporters in your nation, or all prospects. Remember that it is good practice to segment your email list in order to increase your email deliverability.
3. Click . This will direct you to the “Theme” section of your email blast.
Select a theme
Under “Theme” you may choose from a selection of publicly available themes. Select a theme by hovering over the thumbnail image and click “Use theme.” This will save your selected theme and direct you to the “Body” section of your email.
You may return to the “Theme” section at any time to select a different theme. To create a custom theme, see details below.
Create a custom theme
If you do not want to use a public theme, you may create your own custom theme.
To create a custom theme:
1. Under the “Theme" tab click on “New custom theme."
2. Name your custom theme. Check the “Clone your current theme” checkbox to use your current public theme as a base template.
3. Click .
3. You will be directed to the HTML editor, where you can make changes to the template. Learn more about liquid in NationBuilder templates.
4. To publish your new theme click . Click to remove any changes you made.
You can use your saved custom theme for future email blasts. When you create a new email, go to Theme > Custom Themes.
All previously created custom themes will be listed. To use one of your previously created themes, click on “switch to” next to the name of the theme you want.
After selecting your theme, you will be taken to the “Body” section of your email blast.
Enter content and images for your email blast under the "Body" section of your blast.
1. The default sender of your blast is the name of your Broadcaster. Change the sender by entering a new name in the “From” textbox.
2. Enter a subject line for your email in the “Subject” textbox.
3. Enter content for the body of your email. Remember to upload image files under the “Files” tab before adding them to your blast.
- Phone number
- Twitter/Facebook followers
Preview and send your email
Send yourself a test email before you send your blast. Enter the email of your choice in the the text box. Click “Send test email.”
Click to send your email blast immediately. This button will always display the number of recipients. If you do not see the option to send your email, check to see if you are still in your trial period. Email blasting is only available once your nation is out of trial.
Once you have sent your email, view the results by going to the "Recipients" or "Dashboard" areas of your blast.
Learn more about your email blast results.
Schedule your email
Please note that scheduling is only available to those on the Organization plan or above. If you would like scheduling activated in your nation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want to schedule your email for a later time, click .
A pop-up box will appear. Select a date and time. The delivery must be scheduled at least one hour in the future. Click “Schedule” to confirm.
Click on the blue link to adjust the scheduled time: .
Enter a new date or time and click “Schedule” to save your changes.
Click to cancel your blast. View all scheduled emails by going to [Broadcaster] > Email > Scheduled.