To get started, you need access to both your NationBuilder and Stripe accounts. If you don’t have an existing Stripe account, create one from their website. After you create an account, you need to activate it. If you don’t, you will only be able to interact with Stripe in test mode. All Stripe features are available in test mode, but no live transactions will take place.
To activate your Stripe account, fill out the form requesting basic information about your product and business. Then, you can use the live API to charge credit cards on your donation pages from NationBuilder.
- Get your API key from Stripe
- Connect with Stripe
- Related resources
- Issues and suggestions on our radar
Get your API key from Stripe
In order to connect NationBuilder with Stripe, you have to locate the appropriate API key. This key identifies your account with Stripe.
- Access your Stripe account and click on "API" on the sidebar to the left.
- Click "Reveal live key token" to locate your live secret key. Secret API keys should be kept confidential as it can perform any API request to Stripe without restriction.
You will need the live secret key in order to process real transactions.
Keep the API key in hand in order to connect Stripe to your NationBuilder account when adding a new Payment Processor.
Learn more about Stripe API keys.
If your Stripe account was created on or after October 6, 2017, it is subject to enhanced compliance standards. In order to use your Stripe account with NationBuilder, you will need to enable "Process payments unsafely" under Business settings > Integration in your Stripe dashboard.
You can follow in-work progress on our efforts to comply with Stripe's standards here.
Connect with Stripe
Once you have your Stripe API key, access your NationBuilder control panel.
- Go to Settings > Payment processors > New processor and select Stripe.
- On the “New processor” page, enter a name in the required “Name” field.
Get your Stripe secret key. Copy the key from Stripe and paste it into the required “Secret key” field.
- Look at the list of credit card types Stripe accepts and check off the ones you want to use with your account.
- You can also select a time to settle your funds in the “Settles nightly at” field. When you select a time, such as 8:00 PM, the approved transactions get submitted to Stripe for clearing at that time.
- If you want your Stripe account to be in test mode, then check off “Testing mode.” Remember that you also have to use the test secret key in the "Live secret key" field to ensure that no transactions are processed from both NationBuilder and Stripe.
- You have the option to choose a description for your organization through the “Type of organization” drop-down menu. The different options include for profit, nonprofit, charity, individual, federal_candidate, federal_pac, federal_party, state_candidate, state_pac, state_party, local_candidate, local_pac, and local-party.
Choose how donors will interact with your donation page. First, decide whether the donations are tax deductible. This status will appear on the donation page and on donation receipts.
You may require a donor’s employer and occupation information, the employer’s full address, or just the employer’s city and state. You may also include corporate contribution fields. If you are a political campaign, check your local and Federal regulations to see if you are required to collect this information.
Activate any setting by checking the appropriate text box.
- If your organization has a specific disclaimer or contribution rules required to accept donations, enter that copy in the "Contribution rules" text box. This includes specific disclaimers mandated by campaign finance law. Donors will have to check a box accepting these statements before submitting a donation.
- Once you’re done filling out the form, make sure you click the button. A donation page that is connected to this payment processor will pull from these fields.
- You’ll see your newly added payment processor in Settings > Payment processors > All processors.
Issues and suggestions on our radar
There are some issues related to the integration with Stripe that have come to our attention. We are monitoring their importance to the community on the product issues and suggestions page. You can follow each of the below issues to keep updated on their status.