Lists are a static way of organizing people in your database. You can send an email or a text message blast to a list. You can batch update a list. You can use a list to record contacts in call view or data entry view. You can also print call or walk sheets from a list.
Below you will learn how to create a list, add or remove people from a list, delete a list, and remove people from your database.
Table of Contents
- Create a list
- Add people to a list
- Remove people from a list
- Add or remove a person from a list
- Delete a list
- Remove people from your database
- Related HOWTOs
Create a list
In the People section, when you click on the Lists tab, you can create a list.
1. If you click on the word Lists, a widget will appear displaying your nation's lists.
2. Click + Create List.
3. Type the name of your new list, and press the Create button. Your list will be created and appear in the widget menu.
5. You can click the pencil button next to the name of your list to edit its settings or to delete the list. The edit icon will only appear next to the list names when you click on the word Lists. So to work within a list, you'll want to click on the word Lists.
Creating a list works the same way regardless of how you open the widget. The lists widget is also available from the Actions button and the arrow that appears at the far right-side of a profile overview.
Add people to a list
There are five ways to view people in your database:
- Single-person view
- List view
- Household view
- Map view
- Path view
The Actions button in the toolbar at the top of the People section gives you the option to add people to a list. It is context-specific, which means the options that appear in the actions dropdown menu change based on how you're viewing the People section.
- In list view or household view, you can add everyone to a list or remove everyone from a list.
- In single-person view, you can add the person you are viewing to a list or remove that person from a list.
- Actions are not available in map view.
To add people to a list in list view or household view:
1. Click on the Actions button.
2. Click Add all to list…
3. Click on the name of the list you'd like to add people to. If you have a lot of lists, you can search for a specific list by typing in the bar above the list names .
4. A notification bar will display at the top of your control panel letting you know people are being added to your list. When the process is complete, the notification bar will update to say, “People were added to [list name]." You can click on the name of the list from the notification bar to edit the list.
If you want to add people to a list that doesn't exist, click +Create list at the bottom of the "Add all to list" menu, enter the list name, and then just click Create. This will both create the list, and add everyone you're viewing to it.
Remove people from a list
The Actions button in list view or household view also allows you to remove a large group of people from a list. It works the same way as adding people to a list.
1. Click on the Actions button.
2. Click Remove all from list…
3. Click on the name of the list you'd like to remove people from. If you have a lot of lists, you can search for a specific list by typing in the bar above the list names.
4. A notification bar will display at the top of your control panel letting you know people are being removed from your list. When the process is complete, the notification bar will update to say, “People were removed from [list name]." You can click on the name of the list from the notification bar to edit the list.
Add or remove a person to a list
In single-person view, the Actions button allows you to add the person you're viewing to a list or remove that person from a list.
In list view, the arrow button on the far right side of a profile allows you to add the person to a list or remove the person from a list.
Click on the arrow and you will see the following options:
You will also find the option to edit a profile or delete him from your database from the arrow button.
Click on Add or remove from list. A list widget will pop up. Checkmarks next to a list name indicate that the person is on the list.
Click on a list with a checkmark next to it to remove the person from a list. The count of people on the list will decrease by one.
Alternatively, click on a list without a checkmark and the person will be added to the list. The count of people on the list will increase by one.
Delete a list
Deleting a list is a casual affair. You will not lose any information about the people on the list. The only thing that will disappear is the list itself. If you accidentally delete a list, you can always recreate it and add people to it using people search.
1. Click on Lists at the top of the People section.
2. Click the pencil button next to the name of the list you want to delete.
3. When taken to the edit list screen, click on the Delete option.
4. Select Delete this list to delete the list.
5. A pop up screen will appear to confirm that you want to delete the list. Click OK.
You'll be taken to a screen displaying all of your lists. A red notification bar at the top of the control panel will confirm that the list was deleted.
When a list is connected to a scheduled email or text message blast, it cannot be deleted. This ensures that a blast is not inadvertently sent to no one. If you attempt to delete a list used by a scheduled blast, an error message will appear. In order to delete the list, new recipients must be selected for the scheduled email or text message blast. Once new recipients are selected, the list can be deleted.
Remove people from your database
Infrequently, you may need to remove a large number of people from your database. You can do this by adding the people to a list and then removing all of the people on the list from your database.
When you delete people from your nation, you will lose:
- all information about the people
- all records of communication with the people
- all voter data for the people
If any of the people on the list:
- have a permission level (i.e. control panel access)
- made a donation
- were sent an invoice
are connected to an expenditure
- received an expenditure
- created an expenditure
- listed as the person / organization the expenditure was about (in support of or in opposition to)
- are executing the removal process
They will not be deleted, doing so would make your nation's financial history incomplete and could cause problems for financial reporting.
Once you manually delete all donations, invoices, and expenditures connected to a person and remove the person's permission level, they can then be deleted individually or via a list. If you need help deleting a lot of financial information, e.g. a donation import, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Before you permanently delete people, we recommend taking a snapshot of your nation.
3. From the People section, click on the word Lists.
4. Click on the list name.
5. Click Delete.
6. Click Delete people from nation. You will be taken to a warning screen:
7. Click on the yellow button that says I know what I'm doing. Delete these people from my nation. You'll then see a screen like this:
Deleting will finish before the above confirmation message changes. Please be absolutely sure you want to delete the people from your nation before you begin.