If you are using NationBuilder’s integrated payment processing, you can refund transactions from within your control panel.
1. To refund a donation go to the donor's personal profile.
2. Go to Finances > Donations and locate the donation you want to refund.
3. Click on the pencil button next to the donation.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Refund donation button.
When the refund is successful, a 'canceled at' date is added to the payment transaction as the date it was refunded.
If you delete a transaction or adjust the amount (in the case of an offline contribution), you can leave a note.
Refunds with third-party processors
You can refund transactions from your control panel if you are using Authorize.net, Paypal Payflow Pro, SagePay, eWay, or Stripe.
Sometimes refunds are not possible from your control panel. You cannot process a refund from the control panel if:
- The donation was processed using Democracy Engine or PayPal Express Checkout.
- You want to provide a partial refund rather than a complete refund.
- A transaction ID is not associated with the donation. A successful donation processed by Authorize.net, Paypal Payflow Pro, SagePay, eWay, or Stripe should always have a transaction ID. If the transaction ID is missing, it could be the result of a connection issue between NationBuilder and your payment processor.
Contact your payment processor to refund a donation if you do not see a "Refund donation" button in the settings section of a donation. Any refund submitted directly on a payment processor will not automatically reflect in your control panel. Reach out to email@example.com if you wish to resolve this conflict.
Please contact our support team if:
- You do not see a "Refund donation" button in the settings section of a donation of a payment processor where this option should be available.
- A donor reports that they have not received a refund you sent (after 5-10 business days).
Making partial refunds
From your control panel, it is only possible to refund a transaction in its whole amount. Partial refunds made from a third-party payment processor will not be reflected in your control panel.